Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy sessions last 60 minutes. Schedule Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy daily for the number of sessions recommended by your physician and/or based on the purchased package. Consider a baseline Hyperbaric Brain Map or QEEG before starting Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy to evaluate concerns and observe benefit overtime.
Autism & Hyperbarics
Physiological differences observed in ASD individuals includes cerebral hypo-perfusion (a decrease in oxygen to the brain), inflammation, and mitochondrial dysfunction. Cerebral hypo-perfusion is shown to be the promoter for certain symptoms such as repetitive behaviors, inflexible routine, underdeveloped language skills and difficulty expressing and recognizing emotions as well as facial cues and gestures. Other underlying factors include inflammation found present both in the brain as well as the gastrointestinal system.
Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) research has shown to improve brain perfusion 60% in all parts of the brain, reduce inflammation in the brain and gastrointestinal system, and increase ATP production in existing mitochondria while generating healthy new mitochondria. In all studies improvements in cognition and behavior correlated with HBOT treatment, helping thousands of ASD patients. Further studies have demonstrated the benefits of HBOT for autism with the following:
Enhance Brain Healing
- Increases Oxygen Delivery to Under Oxygenated Tissues
- Reduces Inflammation in the Brain
- Improves Mitochondria Dysfunction
- Promotes Brain Tissue Regeneration
- Reduces Seizure Frequency
Improve Physical Healing
- Promotes Receptive/Expressive Language
- Improves Movement & Walking
- Stimulates Better Eye Contact
- Improves Gross/Fine Motor Skills
Improve Behavioral Function
- Improves Sleep Pattern
- Advances Social Skills & Interaction
- Reduces Aggression
Advance Mental Function
- Improves Sensory/Cognitive Awareness
- Increases Attention Span & Alertness
Improve Digestive Function
- Reduces Gastrointestinal Issues
- Decreases Inflammation
- Enhances Nutritional Absorption
Study: Autism Symptoms Improved with HBOT
In 2009, a multi-center, randomized, controlled, double-blind trial was published, investigating the introduction of HBOT with 56 children diagnosed iwth ASD, ages 2-7. The study consisted of six separate HBOT centers that treated 30 children with 40 one hour sessions over the course of four weeks; whereas the remaining 26 children underwent sham treatment. Upon completion of this study, 80 percent of the treatment group’s mean physician Clinical Global Impression scores for overall functioning, receptive language, social interaction and eye contact significantly improved. major improvements within the Aberrant Behavior Checklist were observed in irritability, repetitive actions, hyperactivity and speech. Finally the treated children’s ratings on the Autism Treatment Evaluation checklist with respect to sensory/cognitive awareness, exemplified substantial improvement. Hyperbaric treatment was confirmed safe and well tolerated by the children and their parents in both groups.
- Daniel A Rossignol, Lanier W Rossignol, Scott Smith, Cindy Schneider, Sally Logerquist, Anju Usman, Jim Neubrander, Eric M Madren, Gregg Hintz, Barry Grushkin and Elizabeth A Mumper (2009) Hyperbaric treatment for children with autism: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. BMC Pediatrics 2009, 9:21 doi:10.1186/1471-2431-9-21
These statements have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA. All of the statements made on this document are not anecdotal and have been taken directly from clinical data.