The following recipes are refreshing and light and can be an alternative to drinking lemonade or iced tea. Ginger is amazing for the digestive system. Ginger in Chinese medicine is a hot substance and therefore energizing and stimulating. Ginger also is wonderful for the health of skin, hair and nails.
I learned to make ginger tea while living “off-grid” in Jamaica over fifteen years ago.
Traditional Jamaican Recipe for Ginger Tea:
- Take a large piece of fresh ginger root- about the size of the palm of your hand.
- Coarsely grate the ginger.
- Place it in a pan with about a quart of water and boil for 20min.
- Add the juice of one lime.
- Add honey to taste.
- This can be iced or served hot.
This would be a fabulous addition for anyone trying to lose weight.
Sparkling Ginger Juice Recipe:
- Take a large piece of fresh ginger root.
- Peel the outer layer off.
- Cut into one inch pieces and juice.
- Peel a fresh lime and juice.
- Add honey.
- Use this concentrate as you would when making lemonade.
- Start with a small amount of the concentrated juice and add water or sparkling water and pour over ice.