What are the best detox modalities?
- 1. Infrared Sauna Therapy
- 2. Detox Foot Bath
- 3. Lymphatic Drainage Protocols
- 4. Coffee Enemas
- 5. Chelation and Toxic Metal Therapy
- 6. Detox IV and Detox Injection Therapy
- 7. Detox Diet
- 8. Clean Home-Clean Environment
The regular use of an infrared sauna for support of detoxification is one of the best things you can do to restore health and remain healthy. Infrared saunas penetrate deep into the body increasing heat shock proteins, inducing more sweat, then the release of toxins, and at the same time increasing longevity.
How do Infrared Saunas work?
Infrared saunas use infrared light(not visible to the human eye), which penetrates deep into the body creating heat from within. A traditional sauna, also known as a Finnish sauna, uses steam or hot rocks to heat a room to 190-220 degrees. Because of the extreme heat traditional saunas can be uncomfortable, with some people finding it hard to breathe. On the other hand, infrared saunas are heated between 120-170 degrees, with deeper penetration into the body, providing even greater health benefits, while also being more comfortable.
In an infrared sauna, 80% of the heat is directed toward your body’s core, and the other 20% will heat the surrounding air. The infrared heat raises your core body temperature and stimulates the lymphatic system, immune system, and the cardiovascular system. Your body’s response to the heat is to sweat profusely, releasing heavy metals and other toxins through the skin, the largest detox organ of the body. The water in your body also resonates with far-infrared heat, which supports the detoxification process.
DETOXIFICATION-A LIFESTYLE MUST
We live in a very toxic world, with exposure to pesticides, toxic metals, environmental pollution, and GMOs to name a few. Even with our best efforts it is impossible to avoid all toxins. Our body has organs and pathways all focused on the task of eliminating toxins. Sweating, a pathway through the skin, is one of the major, and underutilized pathways for elimination of toxins. Studies indicate sweating is a major method of excreting pesticides1, toxic metals,2 (including cadmium, lead, and aluminum), Bisphenol A (BPA),3 and mycotoxins associated with mold exposure.4 This happens as infrared heat energy penetrates tissues, triggering mobilization of chemicals from subcutaneous fat storage, directly into the sweat. Sauna is by far the safest form of detoxification with added benefits for heart disease, enhanced immunity, increased longevity, and even weight loss. Detox programs built around infrared sauna therapy are the most effective and efficient methods of whole body detox.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS OF INFRARED SAUNA
Besides infrared saunas ability to detoxify the body, which helps with weight loss, research indicates you can burn up to 600 calories in one 30-minute sauna session, as published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.5 Saunas are able to heat your core body temperature, increasing blood flow and heart rate much like exercise. In other research conducted by Binghamton University they found that participants who spent 45-minute sessions in an infrared sauna 3 times a week, lost 4% body fat in just 16 weeks.6
The heat from an infrared sauna increases the body’s production of white blood cells, and induces an artificial fever, which when combined, are the immune system’s first line of defense when infection strikes. Fever is the body’s natural mechanism to strengthen and accelerate the immune response, so it can take the appropriate action against infectious agents, such as viruses and bacteria. In studies, heat has been shown to destroy harmful germs and bacteria, while a 1% increase in body temperature results in a 40% increase in immunity, according to Nobuhiro Yoshimizu, MD, PhD.7,8 Additional effects of infrared sauna therapy include the increase in heat shock proteins leading to improved immunity, and 30% reduced risk of getting a cold or flu with regular sauna use.9,10,11
One of the most profound and proven sauna health benefits is for cardiovascular health. In 1981, the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reported that regular sauna use “may be as effective as a means of cardiovascular conditioning and burning calories as regular exercise.”12 In another study conducted in Finland sauna use has been shown beneficial for preventing cardiovascular deaths. When compared to men who never use sauna, frequent sauna users (4-7 times per week) were 50% less likely to die from cardiovascular-related causes.13
Regular sauna therapy appears to extend the life span. In one study, 2,315 Finnish men, who used sauna 4 to 7 times per week, had a 40% reduction in mortality from all causes.14 Another study that supports the observation in extended lifespan from sauna use, relates to increased activity of the FOXO3 gene, a master regulator gene linked to increased longevity. 14,15 FOXO3 gene activation has also been linked to Stem Cell activation, DNA repair, and improved immune function. 14,15,16
Pain & Inflammation
Sauna therapy also shows benefit in reducing inflammation, swelling, and pain.17 In one promising study chronic pain patients experienced a nearly 70% reduction in pain after just one session of infrared sauna therapy.18
Skin and beauty
Far infrared exposure has been shown to impact two essential ingredients of healthy skin by increasing production of collagen and elastin.19,20 Far infrared wavelengths also improve the delivery of nutrients to the skin by increasing blood flow. Saunas may be able to help purify skin, reduce wrinkles, improve stretch marks and cellulite, treat and prevent acne and blackheads.
Cautions for use of Infrared Sauna
Cardiovascular Issues, Obesity, or Diabetes—Individuals with obesity or with a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory problems, or diabetes should consult a physician before use. Heat stress increases cardiac output and blood flow to transfer internal body heat to the outside environment via the skin (perspiration) and the respiratory system. This takes place primarily due to major changes in the heart rate, which has the potential to increase by thirty (30) beats per minute for each degree increase in core body temperature.
Medications—Individuals who are using prescription drugs should seek the advice of their physician since some medications may induce drowsiness, while others may affect heart rate, blood pressure, and circulation. Diuretics, barbiturates, and beta-blockers may impair the body’s natural heat loss mechanisms. Anticholinergics, such as amitriptyline, may inhibit sweating and can predispose individuals to heat rash or to a lesser extent, heatstroke. Some over-the-counter drugs, such as antihistamines, may also cause the body to be more prone to heatstroke.
Alcohol and Drug Abuse—Contrary to popular belief, it’s not advisable to attempt to “sweat out” a hangover. Alcohol intoxication decreases a person’s judgment. Therefore, he/she may not realize when the body has a negative reaction to high heat. Alcohol also increases the heart rate, which may be further increased by heat stress. The use of alcohol, drugs, or medications before a sauna session may lead to unconsciousness.
Elderly—The ability to maintain core body temperature decreases with age. This is primarily due to circulatory conditions and decreased sweat gland function. The body must be able to activate its natural cooling processes to maintain core body temperature. If you are elderly, operate your sauna at a lower temperature and for no more than 15 minutes at a time.
Children—Children’s core body temperature rises much faster than adults. This occurs due to a higher metabolic rate per body mass, limited circulatory adaptation to increased cardiac demands, and the inability to regulate body temperature by sweating. When using your sauna with a child, operate it at a lower temperature and for no more than 15 minutes at a time.
Reduced Ability To Sweat Or Perspire—Multiple sclerosis, central nervous system tumors, and diabetes with neuropathy are associated with impaired sweating. Consult a physician before using a sauna.
Hemophiliacs / Individuals Prone To Bleeding—The use of infrared saunas should be avoided by anyone who is predisposed to bleeding.
Fever and Insensitivity to Heat—Individuals with insensitivity to heat or who have a fever should not use the sauna until the fever subsides.
Pregnancy—Pregnant women should consult a physician before using an infrared sauna.
Menstruation—Heating of the low back area of women during the menstrual period may temporarily increase menstrual flow. This should not prevent you from using your sauna.
Joint Injury—Recent (acute) joint injury should not be heated for the first 48 hours or until the swollen symptoms subside. Joints that are chronically hot and swollen may respond poorly to vigorous heating of any kind.
Implants—Metal pins, rods, artificial joints, or any other surgical implants generally reflect infrared waves and thus are not heated by this system. Nevertheless, you should consult your physician before using a sauna.
Pacemakers / Defibrillators—Please discuss with your doctor the possible risks this may cause.
In the rare event that you experience pain or discomfort, immediately discontinue sauna use.
1. Stephen J. Genuis, et al. (2016). Human Elimination of Organochlorine Pesticides: Blood, Urine, and Sweat Study. BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, Article ID 1624643, 10 pages. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2016/1624643
2. Genuis, S.J.,et al. (2011). Blood, urine, and sweat (BUS) study: monitoring and elimination of bioaccumulated toxic elements. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 61: 344–357. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21057782
3. Genuis, Stephen J et al. (2012). Human excretion of bisphenol A: blood, urine, and sweat (BUS) study. Journal of environmental and public healthvol. 2012 (2012): 185731. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/185731
4. Rea, W.J. (2018). A large case-series of successful treatment of patients exposed to mold and mycotoxin. Clin Ther. 2018; 40: 889–893. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/298611911. W. Dean. Effect of Sweating. (1981). Journal of the American Medical Association. 246: 623. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/360118
5. W. Dean. Effect of Sweating. (1981). Journal of the American Medical Association. 246: 623. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/360118
7. Soszyński, Dariusz. (2003). The pathogenesis and adaptive value of fever. Postȩpy higieny i medycyny doświadczalnej. 57. 531-54. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14737969
8. Yoshimizu, Nakamachi Nobuhiro, M.D., Ph.D. The Fourth Treatment for Medical Refugees. https://www.bio-mats.com/infrared/the-fourth-treatment-for-medical-refugees
9. Multhoff, G. (2006) Heat Shock Proteins in Immunity. In: Starke K., Gaestel M. (eds) Molecular Chaperones in Health and Disease. Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, vol 172. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16610364
10. E. Ernst, E. et al. (1990) Regular Sauna Bathing and the Incidence of Common Colds. Annals of Medicine, 22:4, 225-227. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2248758
11. W. Dean. Effect of Sweating. (1981). Journal of the American Medical Association. 246: 623. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/360118
12. Setor K. K., et al. (2018). Sauna bathing reduces the risk of stroke in Finnish men and women. Neurology. May 2018, 90 (22) e1937-e1944; https://n.neurology.org/content/90/22/e1937
13. Laukkanen, Tanjaniina, et al. (April 2015). Association Between Sauna Bathing and Fatal Cardiovascular and All-Cause Mortality Events. JAMA Internal Medicine 175, no. 4: 542. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25705824
14. Flachsbart, F. et al. Association of FOXO3A variation with human longevity confirmed in German centenarians. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Feb 2009, pnas.0809594106. https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/02/05/0809594106
15. Willcox, B et al. FOXO3A genotype is strongly associated with human longevity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Sep 2008. https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/09/02/0801030105
16. Tsai, W. >et al. (2008). Functional interaction between FOXO3a and ATM regulates DNA damage response. Nat Cell Biol 10, 460–467, 2008. https://www.nature.com/articles/ncb1709
17. Masuda A, et al. (2205). The effects of repeated thermal therapy for patients with chronic pain. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. 2005 ;74(5):288-294. https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/16088266
18. Matsushita K, et al. (2008). Internal Medicine (Tokyo) Aug 15, 2008. The First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University Hospital, Kagoshima, Japan. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18703857
19. Lee, Ju Hee et al. (2006). “Effects of infrared radiation on skin photo-aging and pigmentation.” Yonsei Medical Journal vol. 47,4 2006: 485-90. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2687728
20. LLidija Kandolf-Sekulovic, et al. (2003). Immunomodulatory Effects of Low-Intensity Near-Infrared Laser Irradiation on Contact Hypersensitivity Reaction. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 2003; 19: pp 203–212, Blackwell Munksgaard. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12925192
IonCleanse Footbath by AMD
EVND feels that health outcomes are much stronger when detox strategies are diversified. Incorporating the Ionic Foot Bath into a detox plan can have profound effects in eliminating a variety of toxins from the body. Essentially it is a low-level electric current that causes splitting of water molecules into 2 charged ions. These ions act like magnets and attract other charged molecules and direct them to be released by tissues where they have been stored. This then ignites further detoxification and elimination from the liver and kidneys to remove these toxins from the body. The ionic foot bath process is very simple to do. It consists of placing your feet in the prepared foot bath for a period of up to 30 minutes.
- Convenient rental program for at home use
- Sessions can last anywhere from 15-30 minutes based on your Individual Detox Plan.
- These treatments are perfectly safe. No concern for safety makes it a great treatment for any age including children.
- The Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist (ATEK) has been used as an evaluation tool and showed a significant reduction in symptoms when using the IonCleanse Foot Bath.
- The IonCleanse Foot Bath has caused a significant release of chemicals like glyphosate, and heavy metals.
- Individuals suffering from Myasthenia Gravis, an auto-immune disease, showed significant improvement in symptoms related to cognition and pain when using the IonCleanse Foot Bath when compared to those who did not.
- General recommendation is 5 times weekly times 4 weeks for a total of 20 sessions.
- Electrolytes are recommended to be taken post Detox Footbath to promote hydration.
- Trace Minerals Drops Concentrace liquid formula for hydration post Detox Footbath and once daily thereafter during therapy. Dose 8 drops per 8 oz of water minimally and maximum 40 drops a day.
- Other supportive detox therapies should be paired with Detox Footbath during the 6 week course of therapy.
- Sealantro (Nutramedix) 15 drops of chlorella 2 x day before meals to bind metals and other toxins.
- BioToxin Binder or HM-ET 2 capsules at bed on an empty stomach for binding mobilized or circulating toxins.
- Liposomal Glutathione 1 capsule daily for support in liver detoxification pathways.
Studies completed on IonCleanse by AMD Footbath:
IonCleanse Footbath and Glyphosates:
Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Monsanto’s herbicide, Round up. Our exposure to this chemical is common as it is in foods, contaminated drinking water, and can be absorbed through the skin in those who are spraying it.
The negative effects of glyphosates impact on health is growing. It has been shown to disrupt the microbiome of the intestines creating more harmful bacteria then beneficial. It binds to minerals so the body can’t utilize them properly, disrupts the liver detoxification pathways, and inhibits the pituitaries release of the thyroid stimulating hormone thus altering thyroid function.
Recent studies have shown that the glyphosate increases risk of developing non-Hodgkin lymphoma by 41% in people who have been exposed to it. It also has been linked to pancreatic and kidney cancers.
A study was done including 19 people who had elevated urinary glyphosate levels upon entry to the trial. After 30 days both the treatment group and control group had their urine re-tested for glyphosate levels. The footbath group demonstrated a 48% decrease in glyphosate levels after using the detox foot bath for over a course of 30 days. The treatment group did three 30 minute sessions a week for 30 days for a total of 12 treatments. The control group had a 14% decrease in glyphosate levels without any therapy after 30 days. This study demonstrated that the IonCleanse Detox Footbath was effective at eliminating glyphosates in the body.
IonCleanse Foot Bath and Heavy Metals:
A study looked at the use of the IonCleanse footbath’s ability to detox the body from heavy metals. Their focus was on the five metals: aluminum, arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. These metals are unfortunately ubiquitous in our environment and therefore can be easily introduced and stored in the body. For some, metal toxicities can contribute to a multitude of health issues including auto-immune conditions, cancer, mental disorders, fatigue, and headaches just to name a few. Lead especially has been shown to impact the nervous system. Studies have shown that lead exposure in adults was associated with reductions in size of brain regions, reduction in cognition, increase in blood pressure, and additional cardiovascular issues. Exposure of lead in children can result in a decline of intelligence and induce behavioral issues.
One study recruited 31 adults from 21 to 77 years of age. Participants received two ionic footbaths per week for a total of 6 months. The statistics however were only tracked for the first 12 weeks. Whole blood metal testing was completed initially and then again after 12 weeks of treatment. The outcome of this study revealed that Aluminum and Arsenic significantly decreased after the 36 sessions in the participants. Mercury in some participants did lower from the pre to post tests. The other metals showed no significant changes.
Another small study was done in 2017 to assess its use with mobilizing heavy metals. A footbath was completed and heavy metals were collected over 5 days to tally how effective the therapy was at releasing heavy metals from the body. An initial urine heavy metal test was done prior to the therapy for comparison. All 22 heavy metals were assessed. The study concluded that the Footbath was significant in releasing heavy metals from the body into the urine and showed the most substantial release on day 5 on both patients.
In summary, the first study was completed in 2008 and since then more unpublished trials have taken place. Including one from Dr. Klinghardt, MD who showed dramatic immobilization of heavy metals when testing the urine 3 days after the IonCleanse foot bath. This may be related to the concept that other nutritional supportive therapies need to be included in binding to the metals and allowing the body to better remove them which is why EVND feels it is important to combine our detox strategies for the best effects.
IonCleanse Foot Bath and Myasthenia Gravis
This study was done to assess if the IonCleanse Foot Bath was effective at reducing symptoms in patients who had Myasthenia Gravis (MG). The participants in the study were monitored for symptom improvement with the use of the IonCleanse Foot Bath. Significant improvement in symptoms related to cognition and pain were achieved in patients who were in the footbath group vs. the control group. The study design was as follows:
Week 1: 1 10 minute session
Week 2: 1 – 15 minute session
Week 3: 1 – 15 minute session and 1 20 minute session 4 days apart
Week 4: 1- 20 minute session
Week 5: every 3rd day for the rest of the 3 months increasing in time from week 6- week 9 for 25 min. Then Week 9 – 30 minutes, week 10- 35 minutes. Week 13- 40 minutes.
This study is a great indication that the IonCleanse Foot bath may be indicated for others that have auto-immune diseases associated with toxicities.
LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE PROTOCOLS
As already stated, a new paradigm is emerging from years of research supporting the tenet that the majority of diseases start in the extracellular matrix(ECM) and it’s adjacent “drain” the lymphatic system. Detoxification must purify and reduce toxic loads in the ECM if a patient is to improve immune balance and be able to fight off chronic infections. As toxins accumulate in the body the ECM is flooded with toxicants, which block receptor sites and reduce communication between cells. If we compare a toxic ECM to dirty bath water then the lymphatic system becomes a clogged drain blocked by toxins. In order to purify the bath water we must unplug the blocked drain. The fluid of the ECM can be constantly renewed as it is returned to the heart via the lymphatic system. In essence it is like a filter system recycling and purifying the fluid of the ECM in order to keep the receptor sites clear of debri that blocks optimal communication amongst the various body systems.
A secondary role of the lymphatic system is to expose pathogens and toxic invaders to our immune system to incite an immune response. In the presence of significant pathogenic response or load due to toxic abundance, the lymphatic system can become congested leading to further toxic burden and the symptoms that go along with it. In addition, acute exposures such as mold, implants, pesticides, plastics, metals, can become chronic issues when people have an ongoing exposure to something that they’re not aware of, resulting in bioaccumulation of toxins. This turns into chronic exposure followed by the extracellular matrix becoming overloaded and eventually impaired by excessive bioaccumulation of toxins. The lymphatic system follows the same path becoming congested and impaired.
Congestion or enlargement of the cervical lymph nodes is a sign of general lymphatic congestion. The lymphatic system has no pump, and relies on gravity and mechanical movement to move lymph fluid to the heart, which may be difficult for the chronically ill. The lymphatic system surrounding the abdomen, which supports the digestive tract, is of particular concern. When the lymphatic system contained within the abdominal area drains well than the neck, head, and extremities will also drain well. This idea adds additional support to clean diets with low sugar intake and detox protocols that support reducing “bad” bugs contained in the intestinal tract. Improving lymph flow surrounding the digestive tract, enhances lymph movement throughout the rest of the body.
We propose the following therapies to enhance movement of the lymph to support purification of the ECM and as part of you Individual Detox Plan
- Consider having regular lymphatic focused massage therapy or air compression therapy while engaging in your Individual Detox Program.
- Learn and practice manual lymphatic massage to enhance your response using lymph stimulating creams such as Iteres Cream, Sophia Flow, or Biopure Deo. View this informative video for instructions for how to stimulate lymphatic drainage- http://www.sophiahi.com/videos/
- Dose daily in your drinking water a lymphatic stimulating liquid herbal complex
- Dose daily in your drinking water Pekana detox kit focused on the lymphatics, kidney, and liver.
- Enhance lymph movement by adding colonic therapy or self-administered coffee enemas following infrared sauna or lymphatic massage
- Consider daily use of a rebounder, Qi machine, or vibration plates for stimulating lymph flow from the lower limbs toward the heart
- Consider dry brushing 3-5 times weekly during your regular shower
The most controversial alternative detox procedure has to be the coffee enema. Along with previously described detoxification routines, the coffee enema is a central part of a complete detox program. By definition, an enema is a fluid injected into the rectum for the purpose of clearing out the bowel, or of administering drugs or food. But the enema has been more than that for centuries. The enema has been called one of the oldest medical procedures still in use today. Tribal women in Africa, and elsewhere, routinely use it on their children. The earliest medical text in existence, the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus, (1,500 B.C.) mentions it. Millennia before, the Pharaoh had a special doctor whose purpose was to administer the royal enema. The Greeks wrote of the fabled cleanliness of the Egyptians, which included the internal cleansing of their systems through emetics and enemas. They employed these on three consecutive days every month, said Herodotus, or at intervals of three or four days, according to the later historian Diodorus. The Egyptians believed that diseases were engendered by superfluities of the food, a very modern-sounding theory.
Enemas were known in ancient Sumeria, Babylonia, India, Greece and China. American Indians independently invented it, using a syringe made of an animal bladder and a hollow leg bone. Pre-Columbian South Americans fashioned latex into the first rubber enema bags and tubes. In fact, there is hardly a region of the world where people did not adapt the enema for health and disease prevention.
In pre-revolutionary France a daily enema after dinner was fashionable. It was not only considered indispensable for health but practiced for good complexion as well. Louis XIV is said to have taken over 2,000 in his lifetime. For centuries, enemas have been a routine home remedy.
Then coffee was added. No one knows when the first daring soul filled the enema bag with a quart of java. What is known is that the coffee enema appeared at least as early as 1917 and was found in the prestigious Merck Manual until 1972. In the 1920s German scientists found that a caffeine solution could open the bile ducts and stimulate the production of bile in the liver of experimental animals. Later, Dr. Max Gerson used this clinically as part of a general detoxification regimen, first for tuberculosis, then cancer. Caffeine, he postulated, will travel up the hemorrhoidal to the portal vein and then to the liver itself. Gerson noted some remarkable effects of this procedure. For instance, Patients could dispense with all painkillers once on the enemas.
Coffee enemas were an established part of medical practice when Dr. Max Gerson introduced them into cancer therapy in the 1930s. Basing himself on German laboratory work, Gerson believed that caffeine could stimulate the liver and gallbladder to discharge bile along with the fat soluble toxins. He felt this process could contribute to the health of the cancer patient along with any toxic or chronically ill patient.
In 1981 Dr. Lee Wattenberg was able to show in his studies that substances found in coffee— kahweol and cafestol palmitate—promote the activity of a key enzyme system, glutathione S-transferase, above the norm. This system detoxifies a vast array of fat soluble toxins from the bloodstream. This enzyme group is also responsible for neutralizing free radicals, harmful chemicals resulting from toxin overload. In mice studies for example, these systems are enhanced 600 percent in the liver and 700 percent in the bowel when coffee beans are added to the mice’s diet. When combined with infrared sauna and a clean diet, toxins flow out of the body through the skin and intestines at a much higher rate then when utilized individually. Follow the directions below for adding coffee enemas into your regular detox routine.
Directions: Prepare the coffee solution by boiling uncovered(or in a coffee maker), 1 quart of distilled water with 3 rounded tablespoons of coffee grounds (not instant), for 3 minutes. Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Strain and cool to body temperature. Begin by filling the enema bottle with the coffee solution. Administer by lying on your right side, with both legs drawn close to the abdomen. Retain the enema solution for as long as possible but no greater than 15 minutes.
CHELATION and TOXIC METAL THERAPY
Optimal functioning of the body involves 150,000 different peptides and proteins working as active cofactors and enzymes to regulate our system. Toxic metals when present in the circulation will compete for receptor sites within the extracellular matrix, plugging up ion channels, and disrupting intracellular processes and mitochondrial energy mechanisms. With suboptimal levels of magnesium, zinc, selenium and other vital minerals in our diet, receptors become plugged with toxic metals. Toxic metals are able to bind in multiple receptors in a variety of body systems resulting in immune suppression, neurotoxicity, mitochondrial distress, and general increase in all disease causes.
IV chelation therapy removes toxic heavy metals from the body such as lead, mercury, arsenic, and aluminum. Therapy is guided following baseline studies of toxic metals in blood or urine and following a challenge assessment with urine collection for 6 hours after an IV containing a chelating agent is administered. If toxic metals are found then IV chelation therapy can reduce intracellular burden and total body burden of the toxic metals.
Our protocols for chelation can include administration of either bimonthly IV or oral chelation therapy. Infrared sauna therapy, foot detox baths, and transdermal melatonin add additional detox support along with binders to help remove toxic metals bound for removal via the intestines. Melatonin cream is a new addition to our protocols. Based on its ability to mobilize mercury, aluminum, and a variety of infections out of the cells and into circulation to be removed by the intestines.
DETOX IV and DETOX INJECTION THERAPY
Detox IVs support the overburdened detoxification pathways contained throughout the liver. The Detox IV is complete with vitamins, minerals, the powerful antioxidant glutathione, and M.I.C.(Methionine, Inositol, Choline). MIC is a combination of nutrients that assist in the detox process by promoting liver function along with glutathione. Methionine helps reduce allergies as it plays a role in histamine breakdown, inositol helps with fat metabolism, fatty liver disease, and assists in lowering cholesterol. The Detox IV is highly recommended for those who have multiple chemical sensitivity or other environmental allergies, but can also be beneficial for weight loss, migraines, fatigue, anti-aging, and allergies.
Another effective option is the Detox Injection which includes glutathione, methionine, inositol, and choline(MIC) combined in an easily administered injection. Detox Injections and Detox IV therapy add great support for detoxification of the most complex patients and conditions.
We do not adhere to the idea that one diet fits all patients. We recognize and encourage an individualized approach for detoxification that also includes an individualized approach in dietary recommendations. There are similarities sufficient within human physiology to make some very specific and some broad recommendations that can apply to nearly all cases in regard to a diet for detoxification. Please consider the following ideas and guidelines and do your best, in consultation with your physician, to apply them in your Individual Detox Plan.
The best diet as already mentioned is often one based on the body’s individual immune response to specific foods. Food intolerance testing provides answers to specific foods which can be reactive and produce a variety of symptoms with the leading symptom being intestinal lymphatic congestion, leaky gut, and inflammation. Avoiding individual reactive foods improves immune function and opens up detox pathways for improved detoxification. In addition to either personal experience with specific diets, or following a food elimination diet, the following ideas will also add additional knowledge for reducing toxic exposure while we try to reduce toxic load.
- Please avoid eating non-organic varieties of the 12 MOST toxic fruits and vegetables (see ewg.org) as these are heavily sprayed with pesticides and herbicides. Buy organic or avoid eating. Post on the refrigerator for reference.
- Freely eat all of the 15 LEAST toxic fruits and vegetables (see ewg.org). These have less concern for herbicide and pesticide residues so OK to eat non-organic varieties if hard to find organic.
- Do not eat any FARMED or ATLANTIC salmon – this is the most toxic food you can currently eat. If it just says “Salmon” it is Atlantic.
- Freely eat ALASKAN salmon, canned and frozen Alaskan Salmon available year round. Alaskan/Pacific salmon will ALWAYS be labeled as King (Chinook), Red (Sockeye), or Silver (Coho) Salmon. If that distinction is NOT GIVEN, it is farmed salmon being passed off as Alaskan. http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/home.asp
- Avoid the fish with the highest mercury content (shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tuna, orange roughy, marlin, Chilean bass, lobster, halibut, snapper).
- Eat the fish with the lowest mercury content (Clam, Ocean perch, Alaskan salmon, tilapia, founder, sole, catfish).
- Choose wild, grass-fed meat that has been pastured, and free of harmful hormones or antibiotics http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html or http://www.holdingranch.com/
- Eat only organic milk, dairy products (especially butter), eggs, and olive oil.
- AVOID All sugar – sugar reduces the ability of your liver to clear toxic compounds out of the blood stream (in addition to all the other bad things it does to your body).
- Avoid bisphenol-A (BPA) and phthalates. Do not heat or microwave food in plastic containers. Pass on hot beverages or leftovers that come in Styrofoam containers. Instead bring a personal coffee thermos/mug or take-home glass (pyrex) container. Skip on the “BPA free” or BPS. The latest statistics show that too is leaching out of plastics and ending up in our urine. Most likely causing the same endocrine disruption as BPA.
- Avoid drinking water or soda out of plastic containers, especially ones labeled #1, #3, #6, and #7. Instead replace water bottles with glass (Lifefactory, bkrGlass, Takeya) or stainless steel (KleenCanteen, HydroFlask).
CLEAN HOME-CLEAN ENVIRONMENT
Your personal living space can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Having and living in a clean home environment free of mold toxins, chemicals, harsh cleaning products, and toxic metals, increases the chance of recovery and maintaining quality health. Consider the following suggestions to improve your personal health through clean home living.
- PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
- Use natural based healthcare/beauty products such as deodorants(Schmidt’s), shampoos, and toothpaste. You can find clean personal care products at http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
- Discontinue use of products that contain Benzoic acid, BHA, BHT, DMDM hydantoin, fragrances, dyes, parfum, imidazolidinyl urea, sodium lauryl (laureth) sulfate, nonylphenol ethoxylates, phosphates, anything ending in “paraben”, polyethylene glycol and anything ending in “eth”.
- Use non-scented laundry detergent and avoid use of dryer sheets unless specified as natural. Examples include ECOS, Seventh Generation, BioKleen, Meyers, and TJ’s Brand. Avoid commercial brands that say “scent free” unless they are listed above.
- For gluten intolerant patients check all food labels and healthcare and beauty products to make sure they are free of gluten. This is most important for healthcare products that are used in or around the mouth or used liberally on skin of the body.
- HOME & EVERYDAY ENVIRONMENT
- Begin to reduce the toxicity of the air inside your home.
- Do not wear shoes indoors.
- Avoid use of pesticides and insecticides in and around the outside of home. Opt for gentler, less toxic options such as essential oils (ie lavender) on cotton balls or diatomaceous earth.
- Replace your home air filters every 8-12 weeks (monthly if >1 animal in home) with high quality pleated filters rated MERV 7-9.
- Have dry-cleaning air out in the garage or car trunk for at least 7 days before bringing them into the house for sure keep out of the bedroom until after 7 days.
- Do not smoke or let anyone smoke indoors. If you do smoke, let’s work on a plan to help you quit.
- Consider replacing your carpet with tile, stone flooring, safely treated wood.
- Replace vinyl shower curtain with cloth/nylon curtain.
- Consider a personal room air purifier w/ HEPA filter – the best are IQ-Air, Blue Air or Austin. Make sure you get one with enough CFM (cubic feet of air purified each minute) to clear the air in your bedroom at least once every 30 minutes.
- If you are highly chemically reactive, those exposed to chemicals on the job, or those who are frequent flyers, consider a personal Wein air purifier.
- ELECTRO MAGNETIC FREQUENCY
- For those sensitive to EMF or those who want to limit mobile or cordless phone usage be sure to do the following:
- Use speaker phone or headset to keep the phone away from the head
- Use protective SAR case that does NOT decrease the reception. Lower the reception bar, the more the phone emits radiation. Good reception = Less Radiation
- Use text feature rather than phone feature
- Allow the phone to “answer” before putting up to ear
- Do not keep on body. If on or near the body, put into “Airplane Mode”
- If using it as alarm clock, put into “Airplane Mode”
- ENHANCE SLEEP
- Consider black out shades, no blue light 2 hours before bed, and 5 degree inclined sleep for the glymphatic system. REVIEW Oura ring for sleep tracking
- EMF safe environment- Turn WIFI off at bedtime, place cell phone away from the body, Use a Cornet Meter to measure sleeping location
- PERSONAL HOME EVALUATION
- Water evaluation(www.ewg.org/tapwater)- Test water for heavy metals, mold, fluoride, Deuterium, and glyphosate with Doctors Data, mytapscore.com, or EMSL
- Air evaluation- Consider the following tests ERMI/HERTSMI 2, EMSL, or Mycotoxin
- Deuterium evaluation- increased exposure(www.ddcenters.com)
We hope this is helpful for you and invite you to not get overwhelmed with what you think you’re not doing or don’t know. We welcome you to call us with any questions or concerns you may have about Lyme Disease.