Cold and flu season are on there way. Here are some tips and tricks to help prevent your kids from getting sick.
Stop the spread of germs
- Wash your hands frequently, especially if you are blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing.
- Wash your children’s hands frequently, especially when they get home from school, day care or playing with friends.
- Wash your children’s toys. You can use a gentle soap like BioKleen, or Earth Friendly.
- Keep a non-toxic hand sanitizer around, like Nature’s Paradise, EO or Dr. Bronners.
- Do not share cups, utensils, lip balms, or toothbrushes.
- Keep your hands away from your face; i.e. rubbing your eyes, biting your nails.
Keep your children’s gut healthy
- Probiotics: The good bacteria live in our noses, throats, lungs and digestive tract. This is our first line of defense. Plenty of good bacteria allows our body to fight more cold and flu viruses.
- Limit sugar and refined/processed foods. Increase their intake of fresh fruits and veggies, these are full of antioxidants which will improve immune function.
Keep your child’s immune system healthy
- Give your child a good quality multivitamin daily.
- Consider giving your child Vitamin D, check with you doctor before starting your children on Vitamin D.
- Give your child 500 mg of Vitamin C daily.